Expertise in the energy industry
The field of energy and power distribution services is among the firm’s main sources of business and out team is consistently and independently recognized for its work on important and complex projects. Our team has substantial experience in the gas, energy, infrastructure and industry sectors:
Attorney Mariya Derelieva worked as an expert in the Legal Directorate of the Energy and Water Regulatory Commission (EWRC), a government authority, where she was a member of various expert groups for energy industry licensing and provided legal representation for the Commission before the Supreme Administrative Court in a number of litigation procedures. As a legal expert in EWRC, she contributed to the preparation of legal opinions on the Energy from Renewable Sources Act and the bill for amending and supplementing the Act towards transposition of the Directives of the Third Energy Package.
Attorney Alexander Katzarsky has served as an arbiter in an international dispute at the Court of Arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris concerning obligations to buy electric power, with a claim amount of 3.5 million US dollars (case No. 16 463/GZ).
Attorney Georgi Georgiev specialized in business law and project funding in King’s College, London, and works on large energy projects with international and national funding taken on by the firm.
In 2014, two of the top legal directories in the world – Chambers Europe and Legal 500 – recommended Georgiev, Todorov & Co. as a leading law firm in the fields of Arbitration and Legal Representation. The firm also holds the uncontested top spot in Dispute Resolution in Chambers’ global publication – Chambers Global.
Georgiev, Todorov & Co. is a member of Lawyers Associated Worldwide, an international organization with members from over 100 countries. This membership affords us access to a powerful information network.
Experience and Clients
We have consulted on the largest energy, infrastructure and development projects in Bulgaria. We count among our clients the leading companies and entities in the energy industry, including the Energy and Water Regulatory Commission, which we represented in numerous administrative cases before 2014 – a pronounced sign of appreciation for our law firm by the competent regulatory authority.
Our expertise in energy projects and energy-related litigation procedures:
- In 2014–2015 we successfully represented the Russian company Atomstroyexport in administrative cases concerning tax treatment with a claim amount of over BGN 26,000,000.
- The firm worked as a consultant on Bulgarian law to the legal counselors of claimant Atomstroyexport in the Belene NPP case against NEK EAD, which is still ongoing (ICC Case 18086/GZ/MHM) and has a claim amount of 1 billion Euro.
- In 2013 Georgiev, Todorov & Co. successfully represented LUKOIL NEFTOCHIM BURGAS AD against BULGARGAZ EAD before the Supreme Court of Cassation in a dispute with a claim amount of approximately BGN 25,000,000, constituting receivables under invoices for natural gas delivery with an expired three-year period of prescription.
- Consulting ENEL on the different stages of the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the Thermal Power Station Maritsa Iztok 3.
- Since 2009 we have been consulting Melrose Resources EOOD, a company engaged in exploitation of a gas field at Galata cape, near Varna, about establishing a servitude under the Bulgarian Energy Act, disputes with third parties, regulatory affairs, etc.
- Legal representation of a Bulgarian subsidiary of ENEL in a large number of cases concerning obligations to connect renewable energy generation sites to the electrical grid and violations of competition law;
- Georgiev, Todorov & Co. provides local legal assistance to the Mitsui & Co., Toshiba Corporation and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation consortium with reference to the rehabilitation of six units of the Thermal Power Station Maritsa Iztok 2. The firm has successfully consulted Mitsui & Co. concerning the procedure before the Commission for Protection of Competition and the Supreme Administrative Court of Bulgaria on matters relating to competition in the EU.
- We have successfully consulted Mini Otkrit Vagledobiv EAD (an open coal mining company) during the Thermal Power Station Bobov Dol privatization procedure, which is one of the most important privatization transactions in Bulgaria for 2008, amounting to over 100 million Euro.
- Consulting Energoconsult during the development of a wind farm project with a capacity of approximately 100 MW in the Dobrich region (North Bulgaria) and a cost of over 10 billion Euro, and representing the company in its negotiations with investors Iberdrola, Spain, and Efacec, Portugal.
- Legal representation of EVN Kavarna EOOD in a dispute about the due price in a renewable energy park with 25 wind turbines.
- Legal representation of EVN Bulgaria Elektrorazpredelenie EAD in a dispute concerning a photovoltaic power station for electric power generation.
- Legal representation of energy holdings engaged in production of electric and thermal power in commercial and administrative proceedings against NEK EAD, ESO EAD, BEH EAD, etc., amounting to a total of over 90 million Bulgarian levs.
An inexhaustive list of our firm’s clients in the energy sector over the last 10 years:
- Atomstroyexport, Russian Federation
- EVN Bulgaria Elektrorazpredelenie EAD
- BRIKEL EAD
- Thermal Power Station Bobov Dol
- Thermal Power Station Maritsa 3 AD
- Toplofikatsia (“heating”) Ruse
- Toplofikatsia Veliko Tarnovo
- Toplofikatsia Sliven
- Toplofikatsia Pernik
- Toplofikatsia Gabrovo
- Toplofikatsia Burgas
- Toplofikatsia Vratsa